The CRSB’s Verification Framework will provide a tool for producers and processors to demonstrate the sustainability of their operations and support retail and food service companies in their sustainable sourcing efforts. It will also provide credible and transparent messaging for communications with consumers.
Three multi-stakeholder CRSB committees—the Indicator and Verification Committees, and a Communications and Marketing Committee —are working hard to develop a framework that is:
- realistic for producers and processors, and is not disruptive to their normal business;
- credible to consumers and will secure their trust;
- scalable for long-term industry adoption across the Canadian beef industry; and
- wherever possible, follows the International Social and Environmental Accreditation and Labelling (ISEAL) Codes and guidelines.
The framework includes aspects such as:
- indicators (what is to be measured on the operations);
- verification protocols including a scoring framework (how the indicators are scored) and assurance manual (guidelines for audits, auditors, records, etc.);
- chain of custody requirements;
- claims and labelling guidelines, and
- a process for establishing equivalency with other tools and programs.