The CRSB’s Verification Framework will provide a tool for producers and processors to demonstrate the sustainability of their operations and support retail and food service companies in their sustainable sourcing efforts. It will also provide credible and transparent messaging for communications with consumers.
Two multi-stakeholder CRSB committees—the Indicator and Verification Committees—are working hard to ensure they develop a framework that is:
- realistic for producers and processors, and is not disruptive to their normal business;
- credible to consumers and will secure their trust;
- scalable for long-term industry adoption across the Canadian beef industry; and
- wherever possible, follows the International Social and Environmental Accreditation and Labelling (ISEAL) Codes and guidelines.
The framework includes aspects such as:
- indicators (what is to be measured on the operations);
- a scoring framework (how the indicators are scored);
- an assurance manual (guidelines for audits, auditors, records, etc.);
- chain of custody and claims guidelines; and
- a process for establishing equivalency with other tools and programs.
The CRSB is aiming to have the Verification Framework completed by end of 2017.